Saturday, June 20, 2009

A funny thing happened while Whale Watching


This large canvas has a history. It is a failure of mine I painted in 1976. You may have seen it around. It is the tail of a whale cruising through the blood of his buddies. It is me trying to master "foreshortening" a method of posing a subject in augmented proportions... well, you get the picture.

As it became recycled it started to get a reputation, and you could not believe how many interpretations I have gotten: "It's a Goose" or It's a Fly" and "That doesn't look like underwater!!!"

"Hey, how do we know how a whale sees his underwater world?" I reply.. "maybe it is full of light for him... "

Huhnjh? Anyway, I am behind on photographing my works... so here once again is Whales at War.... 48" x 37" oil on canvas, 1976, failed attempt at foreshortening. by Pat Darnell

No comments: